Saturday, 21 June 2014

World Cup 1982 - Day Eight

Sunday 20th June 1982
GROUP TWO, Estadio El Molinon Gijon. (17:15)
WEST GERMANY   (1)   4   (Rummenigge 9, 56, 66, Reinders 81)
CHILE   (0)   1   (Moscoso 89)
West Germany: Schumacher; Kaltz, K-H Forster, Stielike, Briegel; Littbarski (Reinders), Dremmler, Breitner (Matthaus), Magath; Rummenigge, Hrubesch
Chile: Osben; Garrido, Bigorra, Figueroa, Valenzuela; Dubo, Bonvallet, Soto (Letelier), Moscoso; Gamboa (Neira), Yanez

West Germany had to pick themselves up from the embarrassment of losing to minnows, Algeria in this stadium in their first match.  Chile could consider themselves unlucky when losing to Austria, but it meant this was a ‘must win’ game for both teams. 

The Germans took the lead when Rummenigge’s shot from outside the area, dribbled under the Chilean keeper’s body and into the net.  Osben looked to have it covered and but it was a poor attempt at a stop.  The Germans were bolstered by the start they had and both Hrubesch and Rummenigge had chances to add to their lead before the break.  In the 56th minute, Rummenigge scored his 2nd of the game to double the Germans lead and then 10 minutes later he cut in from the right, played a one-two with Magath, before knocking the ball past Osben for his hat-trick.  With less than 10 minutes to go, Uwe Reinders, who’d come on for Pierre Littbarski, also cut in from the right and beat Osben on his near post.  It was Reinders first goal for his country.  Moscoso got a goal back for Chile right at the end, but the Germans had got back to winning ways.  Moscoso nutmegged Manny Kaltz before firing past Schumacher.

GROUP FOUR, Estadio San Mames, Bilbao. (17:15)
ENGLAND   (0)   2   (Francis 63, Barmos og 66)
Czechoslovakia: Seman (Stromsik); Fiala, Barmos, Vojacek, Jurkemic; Berger, Radimec, Chaloupka, Vizek; Janecka (Masny), Nehoda
England: Shilton; Mills, Thompson, Butcher, Sansom; Coppell, Robson (Hoddle), Wilkins, Rix; Francis, Mariner

England were back in Bilbao where they’d beaten France 3-1 in their opening game.  The Czechs had been surprisingly held by Kuwait and needed a win here.  England were the better team throughout the first half but missed a host of chances with Wilkins forcing a good save from Seman with a thunderous volley.  Mariner blasted over when he should’ve hit the target and Robson was also wayward with a header.

In the second half, England continued to create chances and finally the deadlock was broken in the 63rd minute.  Wilkins took a corner on the left and Seman somehow let the ball slip through his hands and Francis was at the back post to turn it in.  Then within 3 minutes, Mariner’s ball into the area trying to find Francis, and Czech defender, Barmos, stuck out a leg and diverted the ball into his own net.  England were comfortable 2-0 winners and had booked their place in the next phase.

GROUP FIVE, Estadio Luis Casanova, Valencia. (21:00)
SPAIN   (1)   2   (Juanito pen 14, Saura 66)
YUGOSLAVIA   (1)   1   (Gudelj 10)
Spain: Arconada; Camacho, Alexanco, Tendillo, Gordillo; Alonso, Zamora, Sanchez (Saura); Juanito, Satrustegui (Quini), Lopez-Ufarte
Yugoslavia: Pantelic; Gudelj, Stojkovic, Jovanovic (Halilhodzic), Krmpotic, Zajec; Petrovic, Sljivo; Vujovic (Sestic), Susic, Surjak

Spain had almost suffered the ultimate humiliation when they nearly lost to Honduras in their opening game.  Yugoslavia had played out a goalless draw with Northern Ireland and so all four countries in this group were still level after their first matches. 

Yugoslavia made the first breakthrough with a goal after just 10 minutes.  A free-kick on the right wing was headed in by Gudelj who was unmarked in the area.  Four minutes later Alonso surged forward and was brought down by Stojkovic which looked outside the area, but the referee pointed to the spot.  Lopez Ufarte, who’d scored against Honduras, put it wide but the referee ordered a re-take as the keeper was yards off his line.  Juanito then decided he better take it and he put the keeper the wrong way.  Yugoslavia reacted well as Petrovic, Slijvo and Surjak forced Arconada to make important saves.

In the second half the Yugoslav dominance continued as Vujovic had several chances to go back in front, but just couldn’t find the net.  Then in the 66th minute a corner from the right for Spain was flicked on at the near post by Quini and Saura arrived late at the back post to put the ball in.  Spain had been 2nd best for much of the game, but they eventually ground out a win to get their World Cup started.


  1. Interesting to watch Trevor Francis playing with his socks down around his ankles. That is impossible in the modern game due to the requirement that all players wear shinguards.

  2. Yeah, there were many players who had socks rolled down back then. Barely an FA Cup Final went by without a player throwing the pads away towards the end of the game.